Thursday, January 1, 2009

No TV for a Week


1 Thessalonians 2:13
13And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.

You know when it comes to christianity we can feel like a lot of things are from God. We can claim God tells us a lot of things. We can experience things that we believe are from God. Unfortunately we are human and we can be wrong but there is one thing that is for certain and cannot be wrong and that is the Word of God. Paul said that it is not the words of men but the very words of God.

Everything we feel and experience and think must align with the word of God. I have seen Christians say that God told them to leave their spouse for another person in the church. Direct conflict with the word of God yet they allow their feelings to define what God is saying even though its wrong. Oh that we would evealuate every decision by the word of God with no justification. It would radically shape our lives.

Paul then says "which is at work in you who believe." Here is something that is so beutiful. The word of God is at work in us. It is more then words that we use to look up verses to win an argument. It is the word of God that speaks to our hearts and transforms and shapes our soul. Yet many rarely read it. If we read the bible half as much as we watched TV it would radically change our lives.

I was in a period a while back where I wasn't reading my bible and a friend told me, "I challenge you to read your bible for five minutes every day this week and if it doesn't make you life better than fine, but if it does you have to keep reading it." I did and I have been reading it almost every day since then. It has blessed my life more than I can explain. Sometimes I can't wait to read it and some times I have to force my self but it is always worth it.

I challenge you to turn off you tv for a week and replace it with reading the bible. It will rock your world. Be prepared , satan does not want you reading your bible. That is my challenge. One week of fasting from TV and when you desire to watch tv read the bible instead. It will be better than any show ever made.

God I pray that people would take this challenge this week and that Your word will change their lives. Reveal the things that they need to repent of and that don't align with your word. Bring transformation in our lives through Your Holy Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment