Thursday, January 1, 2009

Peace and Joy in Times of Suffering


Peace and Joy

1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a]have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we[c] also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Hello everyone, I hope you had an amazing week. This week we are in Romans 5We are going to camp out here and look at several things the next few weeks The first thing I want to look at is the peace of God. If you are a Christ Follower and you have accepted Him you have experienced true peace. There is nothing like it. It is hard to explain unless you have experienced it but the best way I can describe it is to share things in my own life. We all have days where everything goes wrong. One thing after another goes wrong and just when you think the day couldn’t get any worse it does. I have lots of days like this. Sort of had one yesterday because of my computer.There have been so many times that I have one of these days and there is nothing left to do but scream or cry and then peace of God will overcome me. I should be devestated but for what ever reason I am sitting there smiling and I just have an overwhelming sense on happiness and God’s love. God gives us peace in a number of ways but this is the one way that I often experience it.

Second thing this passage talks about is the fact that Paul says that we rejoice in our sufferings. When you get to this place you know that you are maturing in your faith because you see the big picture. My aunt sent me a think about Rick Warren and in it He talks about life going from one challenge to another to help prepare us for Heaven. He says life is a series of events that prepare our Character for eternity. I will attach that article in case you want to read it. When we go through struggles and suffer we often look to the Heavens and say “WHY GOD WHY? Or we even get mad at God. God doesn’t create the struggles, sin and the evil one does but God does allow them so that we can grow. Have you seen the kids whose parents give them whatever they want? They may have been happy for the moment but when they grow up they are not going to be able to cope with life because in life you don’t get everything you want. It is the same with God. He cares more about preparing us to be who we need to be than He does about making us happy all the time. So you have a choice, you can cross your arms and frown at God or you can say this isn’t fun but thank you for whatever you teaching me and help me learn something through this. And through this attitude we can rejoice in our suffering because we know that it produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Love you all, May God’s Spirit cover you with true Peace. Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment